Thursday 29 January 2009

Double Sydney Icons


Anyone who has been to Sydney [I will limit to my icons, what I think to be icons that I have personally seen and visited!], would definitely agree that these two structures are most widely seen as the ultimate Sydney icons! Have a quick look at your old Aussie postcards and most likely one of these will be in it!

Quick info regarding these two icons:

Sydney Harbour Bridge - is the older of the two structures which opened in 19 March 1932. Also known affectionately as the "Coat hanger" due to its uncanny resemblance to a coat hanger. Nowadays there is a company that offers a "bridge climb" to the apex of the bridge. I have not done it myself but I would one of these days. There are also footpath or pedestrian sections as well as train lines straddling the bridge. Click here for more detailed information regarding the history, statistics, etc. about the bridge [great old photos as well].

Sydney Opera House - is a World Heritage Listed icon that was borne out of an open ended worldwide design competition won by Danish architect, Jørn Utzon in 1957. The building was built in three stages from 1959 till 1973, with cost overruns and full of personality problems between Jørn Utzon and New South Wales politicians. Two great resources are the Opera House web site and Wikipedia article.

Above photo was taken from Mrs Macquarie's chair, near the Sydney's Royal Botanical Gardens.

4 comments:

Sidney said...

Nice...you got them both in one picture...
Interesting info !

JayAshKal said...

From this vantage point you always get that effect. When I took the picture, the weather and the light did not cooperated much. I will one day get up really early and get a better shot.

escape said...

i would love to climb that bridge! that'll be one thrilling activity.

JayAshKal said...

I suppose it would be given the height of the bridge.