Wednesday 1 December 2010

Reading Leibovitz

Hopefully I can go and visit Annie Leibovitz's photographic exhibiton during the Christmas break. Below is an excerpt on Ashleigh Wilson's take on Leibovitz [at The Punch].

"In her book, Annie Leibovitz At Work, she tells how she came to reluctantly accept the truth about some of her subjects: some people just have an innate sense of charisma.

Nicole Kidman is one. Johnny Depp and Cate Blanchett are others. Marilyn Monroe, definitely.

This week, ahead of a retrospective exhibition in Sydney of her work, Leibovitz laughs when asked about the elusive art of being photogenic.

"When I was younger I used to think they were lucky to be in my photographs," she said. "But then of course as I got older I guess I was lucky to be taking their picture."

Her show, opening at the Museum of Contemporary Art on Friday, contains a deeply personal series of images. It’s called A Photographer’s Life: 1990-2005, and it takes us far beyond the glamour and beauty of Hollywood."

No comments: